Thursday, July 22, 2010

Earth Wave is currently writing content about the western ghats for their website. Also, the 'Explore' section of Earth Wave deals with adventure camps in the same region. For my explorations based on the 'nature' theme, we at Flip decided that I take inspiration from the flora and fauna of the western ghats.

I have done some research about the same, and started making sketches. Here are some of my initial sketches:







Here are some drawings that I think could be used as motifs for embroidery in plain chain stitch or running stitch:

3 comments:

  1. The visual language still seems very cartoonish & definitely not "Indian". But even if you don't want to be typically Indian its okay. Out of all these I like two the last of the frogs & last of the elephants. The frog almost looks like a blow painting which has been converted into the frog. The last pen drawings too are fun.

    Do you think having a quick half day painting workshop with children help. Did you look at Anupama Narayan's Diploma document. Also if you have seen the various CRY calendars with children's paintings/art works they have a freshness that is very appealing.

    What about collecting pics of the Western ghats. The other option is to look at a local style of folk drawing called Hase Chitara, which is similar to warli painting......

    I would like Nandini & Raghu to respond as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments and suggestions, Swati. I haven't been to school recently so haven't had the chance to look at Anupama's doc. Will do it this Saturday.

    About collecting pictures of the Western Ghats, I am doing that already and shall post some on the blog soon.

    The painting workshop idea seems interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... as i told you before i really like the first patterns of birds. I definitely think that it is the most balanced visualy, in that way i don't think you need the branch in the background (like u did for the others). The form works better as itself (according to me). There is something minimalistic in your composition and i like the fact that you put the birds upside down. Somehow it reminds me kind of some old video games.
    And if i think in terms of wearing this motif i think it may be subtle also. I'm not saying that you have to make your motifs subtle at all, but in that case i think it makes it look stronger. good luck, kevin.

    ReplyDelete